Monday 27 May 2013

I (Don't) Like to Move It Move It


In all the years and places I have lived, I just realised that I have never moved within the same town. I have lived in 9 different houses in 9 different towns. Often I come back to the same house after venturing out. Now I am contemplating moving within a town for the first time.

This has made me realised how hard the idea is for me! I am very attached to my current house and am very reluctant to even start looking for a new one, but I need to accommodate ‘guest season’ here in Ubud. I have friends who have promised to visit and surely it is easy enough to just move to a 2-bedroom place. Right?

Right???
Just move…

This would be my first move that is not either running away or coming home. I am not setting out on a grand adventure. I am not coming home full of stories and new ideas. The first time moving is not a deliberate shove towards internal change, or a thin mask for a lack of change.

I am essentially a travelling homebody. Unless my psyche is driving me to the radical, I like being grounded, having a place of my own. Even when I do travel, it is with a sense of a base, having somewhere that I could always come back to. For some reason, the idea of actually just moving house has shaken that. I don’t yet know why.

I could simply move my stuff, from one place to another. And take all of myself with me.
As soon as I actually find a house I want to move to…


No comments:

Post a Comment