Monday 2 December 2013

The Position of Love

Love is a commitment to a position, not a condition
(source unknown)

You know when you read something and it reaches up and grabs you by the throat, the heart, the mind, the soul. Maybe it’s just me, but it happens every so often- it might be a simple quote or a phrase, often on Facebook, sometimes even something I have seen before.

But, NOW, in this moment, those words speak.

The words above grabbed me today. I have been thinking a lot about judgment, about public shaming, about people not supporting each other. I have also been thinking about self-acceptance and how it all stems from how we truly feel about ourselves.

These words remind me- I choose.

But I can also turn this inward. Coming back to Nepal has reminded me how much I struggled with the Buddhist teachings when I spent a month in a monastery here 2 years ago. Yes, I actually found the tenants of Buddhism depressing. And oppressive. As I find pretty much all Religion.

The idea that our human self is flawed, broken, inferior is so sad. That we are somehow inadequate and should be striving for some 'other' perfection. That we are suffering, just by being here. (oh, and there are those 6 realms of hell to top it off!)

What if we committed to our humanness with love? What if the ‘monkey mind’ was not to be overcome or calmed, but is a very treasured component of our incarnation? What if our bodies are not to be transcended but to be truly lived in and loved? And yes, that includes food, and sex, and thinking, and lying in the sunshine, and chocolate, and, and, and…


Yes, I believe we are here to learn, to grow, to evolve. But perhaps, rather than attempting to reject or even outgrow our humanity  what if we embrace it. Love it. Kind of like “loving the one you are with”- is it possible the path to more is through fully accepting and enjoying Who You Are.  A commitment to your Loving your position of Self.

2 comments:

  1. ooOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I likey LOTS AND LOTS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think...

    ReplyDelete